Overview of Public Health Department
The Department of Public Health was established in 2001 in the School of Public Health and Community Development (SPHCD). The Department hosts five programmes accredited by the Commission for University Education (CUE) www.cue.or.ke :
- The Bachelor of Science in Public Health with Information & Technology programme was launched in 2011 and is accredited by the Public Health Officers and Technicians Council (PHOTC) https://photc.org, and the students are indexed annually.
- The Bachelor of Health Records and Information Technology was launched in 2017.
- The Health Systems Management with Information Technology.
- The Master of Public Health (MPH) programme was launched in 2001 and constitutes three options: Master of Public Health Epidemiology and Population Health, MPH in Health Promotion and International Health and MPH in Health Systems and Services Management
- The Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health programme was launched in 2007 offering thesis by research. The PhD in Public Health programme has since 2019 been revised to offer theory and thesis by research
All the programmes in the Department are offered in a blended mode of face-to-face and eLearning.
The Department has qualified staff, and also draws from the pool of qualified staff in the SPHCD, and other Schools within the University due to the multidisciplinary nature of Public Health training, research and practice.
The Department prides itself in having strong collaborations with the Ministry of Health and county departments of health of Kisumu, Vihiga, Busia, Homa Bay, Kisii, Nandi, Nakuru, Thika, Embu, Kirinyaga, Mombasa, Kwale, Kilifi, and other counties in the Republic of Kenya where our undergraduate and postgraduate students engage in field attachments and practicum.
Other national collaborations include:
Research organisations like,
- The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Health partners such as,
- USAID projects for example, the Tupime Kaunti (County Measurements, Learning and Accountability Program (CMLAP),
- The African Population Health Research Centre; Organic Health Response-Ekialo-Kiona Centre (OHR-EK), Mfangano, in collaboration with University of Minnesota,
- Global Health and Social Responsibility; University of California San Franscisco, Global Health Institute (UCSF-UCGHI); the University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health.
These collaborations are focused on building a strong capacity among students and staff through student pairing, co-supervision in research projects, scholarships, community outreach activities, policy-making and practice
Vision of the Department
A Department of excellence, a global leader in public health discovery, innovations, dissemination of knowledge, committed to community service in pursue of Universal Health Coverage for healthy populations.
Mission of the Department
To mentor individuals who will be global leaders in public health knowledge and its application, research, evidence-based policy, and community service with the highest standard of professional ethics and integrity.
Philosophy of the Department
The department of public health is committed to quality through teaching, research and development to public health professionals; Providing on time services to foster and develop academic excellence in public health training and practical oriented manpower, who can contribute effectively to disease prevention and control, social, intellectual and academic excellence in the public health practice nationally and internationally.
- Quality (excellence, determination, integrity)
- Professionalism (teamwork)
- Innovativeness (creativity and inventiveness)